An avid sports fan, six-year-old Spencer Squire enjoyed baseball, basketball, soccer, football, tennis and golf. From attending soccer and baseball camps at Texas A&M University to watching “his” Aggie football and basketball teams, Spencer truly was all about the spirit of competition and supporting his teammates.
A healthy and active boy, it was August 2007 when Spencer completed a football camp with his best friends. The next day he suddenly collapsed from the rupture of a stage-four malignant brain tumor which had no symptoms. “For Spencer's giving spirit of helping a teammate in need, we made the easy decision for organ donation, and now he could offer a teammate his greatest gift, LIFE,” said his mother Anna.
Since then, Spencer’s legacy of life and inspiring organ donation continues in a myriad of ways:
- Annual Spencer Squire All*Star Golf Tournament promoting organ donation and raising contributions for memorial donations;
- Spencer Patton Squire Scholarship in the Dept. of Education at Texas A&M University to ensure the success of an incoming freshman;
- Spencer Squire All*Star Memorial ~ Olsen Field Baseball Facility Improvements at Texas A&M University;
- Spencer Squire All*Star Scholarship for the National Championship Texas A&M Golf Team;
- Annual Spencer Squire All*Star Story Time book drive at Boon Elementary School in Allen, TX to foster the love of reading through book donations to the Allen Community Outreach;
- Construction of the Spencer Squire All*Star Playground at Boon Elementary celebrating Spencer’s playful spirit and love for his fellow Boon Patriots; and
- 2008 title honoree for the Lone Star Circle of Life Bike Tour promoting organ and tissue donation throughout the state of Texas; and
- Special remembrances by area high school football and hockey teams, stories in the press, a book dedication, and website www.spencersquire.com that was customized by Spencer’s soccer coach.
“Just as every bowl game features ‘super hero’ athletes, Spencer’s friends and family are now cheering on the organ donation team,” said his father Patrick. “We smile when we hear Spencer’s friends talk of him being a true super hero because he is saving lives. And for their support and dedication to organ donation, we know that Spencer would consider his All*Star team of family and friends as true champions.”